Endocrinology and Diabetes
Dr. Rubina Heptulla treating a patient
The Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes at The Children's Hospital of Montefiore is one of three in New York City to be approved by the American Diabetes Association.
Our mission is to improve overall health and well-being of children with diabetes and endocrine disorders through:
- State-of-the-art basic, translational and clinical research
- Nationally-recognized consultative services
- Training the next generation of Pediatric Endocrinologists
We care for infants and children with endocrine disorders and diabetes mellitus, including disorders of:
- Growth: short stature, tall stature, children with intrauterine growth retardation who have not caught up in height
- Puberty: delayed, precocious
- Thyroid disorders
- Disorders of adrenal function such as congenital adrenal hyperplasia, Addison's disease
- Diabetes mellitus, Type 1 and Type 2
- Hirsutism, androgen excess, menstrual abnormalities
- Intersex disorders
- Turner syndrome, Prader Willi syndrome, Klinefelter syndrome
In addition to careful and prompt clinical evaluation, we provide a full line of endocrine testing procedures (endocrine function testing, stimulation testing) under the careful supervision of our staff.
|Managing Your Diabetes|
Diabetes Care Team
Our Diabetes Care Team, consisting of physicians, Certified Diabetes Educators (CDEs), Nurse Practitioners (NPs), Nurses, a social worker and a nutritionist, provides in-depth evaluation and counseling for patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes education is provided regarding all aspects of diabetes care: skills assessment and teaching, insulin pump training, continuous subcutaneous glucose monitoring.
Further help is offered through the Adolescent Diabetes Support Group, which meets Wednesdays at 5 pm. Please contact our Social Worker at 718-920-7767.
Our department participates in a wide range of research from basic science to human clinical trials. Discover more about our research initiatives.
Find more iinformation about the Montefiore Comprehensive Thyroid Program
Learn more about how the division of endocrinology and diabetes can make an impact in your lives. Make an appointment or contact us today.