Phoebe H. Stein Child Life Program
The Phoebe H. Stein Child Life Program of Children’s Hospital at Montefiore (CHAM) recognizes the unique emotional and developmental needs of children and their families throughout their healthcare experience. The role of the Child Life Program is to help children successfully cope with illness, injury and treatment so that they may continue to live normal lives during their healthcare experience.
A stay in the hospital can be an especially challenging time for children and their families. In addition to the initial distress of illness and injury, unfamiliar faces, sounds, smells and surroundings may leave children feeling anxious, isolated and uncomfortable.
Child life specialists are professionals trained at a bachelor's or master's level who can be certified by the National Child Life Council to help patients ranging from newborns to young adults and their families minimize stress and trauma during medical events.
The Child Life Program at CHAM:
- Creates a comfortable and familiar hospital environment for children and families
- Educates children and their families on illnesses, injuries, medical equipment and treatment
- Prepares children and their families for tests, procedures and surgeries
- Addresses common fears and misunderstandings and provides emotional support
- Supplies children with age-appropriate recreational activities in the playroom and at bedsides
Contact information - The Phoebe H. Stein Child Life Program
Child Life Program Director
Meghan D. Kelly, MSEd, CCLS
For volunteers, school and community organizations, toy donations
Child Life Program Supervisor
For internship opportunities
Senior Child Life Specialist Internship Coordinator
Talia Haviv, MS, CCLS
Children's Hospital at Montefiore
3415 Bainbridge Avenue
Bronx, NY 10467