Perinatal Bereavement Program
Founded in 1984, the Perinatal Bereavement Program at The Children's Hospital at Montefiore is a comprehensive interdisciplinary program that:
- Facilitates the unique grieving process of families following a perinatal (miscarriage, fetal, stillbirth), neonatal or infant loss
- Educates and sensitizes healthcare providers caring for families experiencing a loss
Bereavement counseling is offered by experienced perinatal social workers and nurses to women and families experiencing a loss – from the second trimester through the neonatal period.
- Parents are encouraged to see and hold their baby.
- A memory box containing pictures, other keepsakes and appropriate literature is given to each family.
- Information and assistance with burial options is provided.
- Free lending library for families and staff
- Free support group — the only one of its kind in the Bronx — serving families throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and southern Westchester
- Annual Remembrance Memorial Service held at Weiler Hospital
- Referrals accepted directly from families or hospital social workers. Please call 718-904-2707 for more information or a referral.