About Medically Focused Child Advocacy
Few things are more traumatic for children than physical or sexual abuse.
But during child abuse investigations, kids often face fresh trauma: When abuse is reported, it starts a chain of events that often includes:
- medical exams
- interviews with social workers
- meetings with law enforcement
During the process children are frequently asked to repeat their stories again and again.
Sometimes kids must be medically examined repeatedly.
Not at Butler Center.
Six Ways Kids Benefit From Medically Based Child Advocacy
As New York's only fully certified, medically based children's advocacy center (CAC), Butler Center offers abused children and their families compassionate options.
Our medically based advocacy translates into:
- Less trauma for kids. At Butler Center children see doctors and other professionals in one place—and often in one visit. A gentle, noninvasive medical exam, forensic interview and family evaluation unfold nontraumatically in our safe, child-friendly neighborhood center.
- Inclusion of all abused children. Other CACs often can't treat a child unless the child's case is likely to move to criminal court. While we vigorously support abusers' prosecution, we're also committed to treating any child who comes through our door, including:
- Neglected, malnourished children and babies who fail to thrive
- Children with disabilities
- Children of all ages up to 21 years old—over the age of 21 if the child has a disability
- Stronger criminal prosecution of abusers. The more children repeat stories, the more likely they are to recant. Butler Center's speedy under-one-roof care helps professionals gather crucial time-sensitive evidence.
- Follow-up medical care that catches kids before they fall through the cracks of patchy healthcare. Butler Center intervenes to provide dental and eye care, obesity and nutritional counseling and a wide array of specialized medical services.
- Care from the nation's top pediatric specialists. When additional medical care is needed, kids receive free medical services from the world-renowned pediatric specialists at The Children's Hospital at Montefiore.
- Better return on investment of healthcare dollars. Recent cost-benefit studies show that investigations at child advocacy centers cost 36 percent less than non-CAC investigations.
Take a look at additional CAC benefits for abused children. See this executive summary from the Crimes against Children Research Center.
Want to make medically focused child abuse services available to more Bronx kids? Make an online donation now.