Checklist for the Home for Vertigo
Use these checklists once a month to see how you are doing to stay safe in case of a vertigo attack. How many of the items can you say "yes" to? Try to do all the items on each list.
Checklist for the home
- ____Walkways around the house (especially to the bathroom or telephone) are clear of furniture, toys, throw rugs, electrical cords, or anything that may cause me to trip.
- ____My furniture is a height that allows me to use it easily.
- ____I can easily reach a telephone in any room that contains one.
- ____My linoleum or wood floors are not slippery.
- ____My driveway and sidewalks are clear of toys, tools, and anything that may cause me to trip.
- ____My indoor and outdoor lighting allows me to see my way.
- ____I have night-lights where they best help me.
- ____My stairs have light switches within reach.
- ____I have a handrail next to my stairs.
Checklist for the bathroom and kitchen
- ____I have grab bars in place in the shower and bathtub and near the toilet.
- ____I have mats in my shower and bathtub to prevent slipping.
- ____I do not have any throw rugs in the bathroom or kitchen.
- ____I have a night-light in the bathroom.
- ____I store the materials and foods I use the most on lower shelves so that I don't need to climb or reach for them.
- ____If I have to climb to reach a kitchen or bathroom shelf, I use a step stool with handrails.
- ____I do not stand on chairs.
- ____I clean up any spills immediately and keep the bathroom floor dry.
Checklist for personal consideration
- ____I have explained to my family, friends, and work colleagues that I experience vertigo. They know what might happen during an episode and how they can help.
- ____I know the side effects of my medicines and whether any affect my sense of balance.
- ____I try to avoid driving, working at heights, or operating dangerous machinery.
- ____I use a cane or walker if necessary.
- ____I wear low-heeled shoes that don't skid.
- ____I don't wear shoes with thick and heavy soles.
- ____I keep my shoes tied.
- ____I avoid walking around the house in slippers or socks.
- ____In fall or winter, I promptly clear wet leaves and snow or ice off walkways.
Current as of: July 28, 2019
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine