Types of Thyroid Cancer
There are different types of thyroid cancer. They are based on what the cells look like under a microscope. Your treatment will depend on which type of thyroid cancer you have.
- Papillary thyroid cancer. This is the most common type of thyroid cancer. It's often only found in one lobe of the thyroid.
- Follicular thyroid cancer. It's found more often in countries where people don't get enough iodine from food.
- Hürthle cell cancer. This is a much less common type. It tends to spread to the lymph nodes in the neck.
- Medullary thyroid cancer. This isn't very common. One type occurs mostly in adults. The other type is inherited and often develops during early childhood.
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer. This is very rare. It's a very aggressive cancer that grows rapidly and is almost always fatal.
Other cancers that can start in the thyroid include lymphoma and sarcoma.
Current as of: September 8, 2021
Author: Healthwise Staff
E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Matthew I. Kim MD - Endocrinology