Healthy Habits to Prevent Osteoporosis
Here are some things you can do to build and strengthen your bones:
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D.
- Eat foods rich in calcium, like yogurt, cheese, milk, and dark green vegetables.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D, like eggs, fatty fish, cereal, and fortified milk.
- Get some sunshine. Your body uses sunshine to make its own vitamin D.
- Talk to your doctor about taking a calcium plus vitamin D supplement if you don't think you are getting enough through your diet and sunshine.
- Get regular bone-building exercise. Walking, jogging, dancing, and lifting weights can make your bones stronger.
- Limit alcohol to 2 drinks a day for men and 1 drink a day for women.
- Don't smoke. Smoking can make bones thin faster. If you need help quitting, talk to your doctor about stop-smoking programs and medicines. These can increase your chances of quitting for good.
Current as of: April 30, 2021
Author: Healthwise Staff
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine
Carla J. Herman MD, MPH - Geriatric Medicine