HIV Home Care
If a person's HIV infection progresses, you may be called on to provide home care for that person. A home care course may give you the knowledge, skills, and confidence to provide the care needed. Contact your local Red Cross chapter, Visiting Nurse Association, or AIDS service agency to find out about home care training offered in your area.
When possible, get to know the person's doctor, nurses, social worker, and other care providers so you can:
- Work with them to create a plan for home care.
- Ask for clear written instructions regarding medicines and procedures.
- Make sure you know about reactions to medicines.
- Discuss how to notify a doctor if changes in the person's health or behavior develop. For example, a cough, fever, diarrhea, or confusion may mean an infection or complication that requires other treatment or hospitalization.
- Learn who to call or what to do in case of an emergency.